Microchip Microcontroller Series
Microchip microcontroller currently consist of the following series,
- PIC10Fxxx series (8 bit MCU)
- PIC12Fxxx series (8 bit MCU)
- PIC16Fxxx series (8 bit MCU)
- PIC18Fxxx series (8 bit MCU)
- PIC24Fxxx series (16 bit MCU)
- PIC33Fxxx series (16 bit MCU)
- PIC33Fxxx series (32 bit MCU)
For simple application, 8 bit MCU is usually selected for its small footprint (size) and lower cost.
For a more complex application, 16 bit MCU is usually selected for its processing speed and the additional peripheral supported by the microcontroller series.
32 bit MCU microcontroller is usually not selected. If the application requires such a high end microcontroller, it is recommended to develop your application using a more commonly available platform like the Raspberry-Pi, beaglebone board or similar which support linux or standard operating system software.
Microchip Microcontroller Selection
Check out the follow microcontroller selection tools online.
- Small Size, Low Pins Count Microcontrollers (6 to 20pins)
- High Pins Count Microcontrollers (>20pins)
- High Processing Speed Microcontrollers
- Special Feature Microcontrollers